Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bookish Types

Last night was book club and it was my turn to host. We have a great group - there are eight of us and we've managed to keep the book club going for over 2 years. There are a few secrets that seem to work for us: we take turns hosting, we've kept the group small, and we take turns offering a few book suggestions that the group then votes on. While some book clubs dissolve after awhile, we periodically check in and discuss what could work better in terms of scheduling and not putting pressure on anyone to be the ultimate hostess.

The book we read this month was Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. I loved the book and there were loads of themes to consider; plus it was the best kind of science fiction because it was believably realistic. The next book in the trilogy (The Year of the Flood) is going on my must-read list.

The menu I schemed up was a couscous recipe from 101 Cookbooks, roasted asparagus, hummus with veggies and pitas, deviled eggs, fresh strawberries, the icebox cake from Smitten Kitchen, and Pimm's Cups*. The hummus recipe is from one of my favorite Athens, Georgia restaurants The Grit, where everything is both vegetarian and crazy good. So good that my sister and I devised strategies around eating there several times each weekend visit and ordering different items so we could essentially have it all. If you are a hummus fiend like me, you should try this recipe from The Grit Cookbook:

2 cans chickpeas, drained, with liquid reserved
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. minced garlic
1/3 cup tahini
2 tsp. cumin powder
3/4 tsp. black pepper
3/4 tsp. salt


Puree all ingredients except chickpea liquid in a food processor (I first mince the onion solo rather than chop it). Gradually add some of the chickpea liquid until the hummus is the consistency you prefer, blending until all graininess is gone. Refrigerate at least one hour before chowing down with pitas and veggies.




*Pimm’s cups were first revealed to me during a layover at a duty free shop in Gatwick airport. It was 7 am and an odd time of day to sample this beverage, so I knew these would probably be tastier in other circumstances. I later read that Pimm’s Cups are best if you have the equivalent of a fruit salad in there, and it certainly was a massive improvement. Now I am hoping to make Pimm’s Cup the cocktail of Summer 2010 the way the spiked Arnold Palmer was for Summer 2009 (in Savannah at least).




1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try Pimm's cups with fruit in them; that sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete