Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Progress on the Shop Banner


Over the weekend I spent some time making a physical banner to photograph and turn into the virtual banner for my shop, Dear Reader. I've been reading the Etsy forums to learn more about the details that make a shop more professional and distinctive. One important suggestion that comes up repeatedly is to make sure your shop banner and avatar feature your product and speak to your aesthetic, because it will draw in more views of your shop while removing an extra click to get there. If you represent your style with your avatar and banner, it is the first impression that will intrigue shoppers and fellow Etsy sellers to check out your work. Also, being married to a graphic designer I am now much more aware of the value a good first impression makes through logos and typography.

My plan with Dear Reader is to always feature one photograph of each item listed with my card catalog in the background. I like the consistency it will bring and it will hopefully be something memorable that people associate with the Dear Reader shop. I knew I wanted the card catalog in my banner, and then I had the idea to cut out smaller versions of the Cavendish shield shape and iron on the letters Dear Reader. Pennants and banners in numerous permutations have been all over the crafting and blog world, and this version is my own take on the trend.

I work with iron-on adhesive when making my tote bags; it has a paper surface on one side for tracing and drawing patterns, which I find easy to cut out. I especially like the clean, smooth finish it brings when putting felt shapes together. However, there are two key things to remember when working with iron-on adhesive: First, your image will be reversed when you iron it on. And second, if you are working with patterned fabric, you have to iron your adhesive to the wrong side. Thinking in reverse can still get confusing when you are working with a new pattern, as I was with my lettering. Initially I forgot about reversing the letters until I started cutting the first one, but I've since sorted it all out. A few final steps to go and I will soon be photographing the new felt banner to show off. A sneak preview of the progress is all I have time for until I get back from vacation next week.

1 comment: